Below is a listing of every NFL team and the NFL team they are the closest to; the team’s geographic rival at least in terms of distance from each other.
A List of Every NFL Team and the NFL Team They Are the Closest To
Note: The distance between NFL teams was calculated from where their stadiums are located. The distance between teams was found using an Excel formula developed by BlueMM, which finds the distance between two locations using great-circle distance. Stadium coordinates were retrieved from GeoHack.
Game scores and all-time series records were retrieved from Pro-Football-Reference’s box score finder. Keep in mind that the series records go back to when the teams weren’t “geographic rivals”.
The number in the first column represents a mutual “geographic rivalry”. An example of a mutual geographic rivalry: the Arizona Cardinals are the closest NFL team to the San Diego Chargers, and in return the San Diego Chargers are the closest NFL team to the Arizona Cardinals.
Columns can be sorted by clicking on the titles in the header.
|-||Team||Closest To||Miles||W||L||T||W Pct||Last Game||Streak|
|1||Arizona Cardinals||San Diego Chargers||286||3||9||0||0.25||2010: L 10-41||3 L|
|2||Atlanta Falcons||Tennessee Titans||214||6||7||0||0.462||2011: W 23-17||1 W|
|3||Baltimore Ravens||Washington Redskins||29||3||1||0||0.75||2008: W 24-10||2 W|
|Buffalo Bills||Pittsburgh Steelers||173||9||14||0||0.391||2010: L 16-19||4 L|
|Carolina Panthers||Atlanta Falcons||226||12||22||0||0.353||2011: L 23-31||4 L|
|Chicago Bears||Indianapolis Colts||164||18||23||0||0.439||2008: W 29-13||1 W|
|4||Cincinnati Bengals||Indianapolis Colts||99||9||17||0||0.346||2011: W 27-17||1 W|
|5||Cleveland Browns||Detroit Lions||90||5||17||0||0.227||2009: L 37-38||2 L|
|6||Dallas Cowboys||Houston Texans||234||2||1||0||0.667||2010: W 27-13||2 W|
|Denver Broncos||Kansas City Chiefs||564||48||56||0||0.462||2011: L 3-7||1 L|
|5||Detroit Lions||Cleveland Browns||90||17||5||0||0.773||2009: W 38-37||2 W|
|Green Bay Packers||Chicago Bears||184||86||92||6||0.484||2011: W 35-21||4 W|
|6||Houston Texans||Dallas Cowboys||234||1||2||0||0.333||2010: L 13-27||2 L|
|4||Indianapolis Colts||Cincinnati Bengals||99||17||9||0||0.654||2011: L 17-27||1 L|
|7||Jacksonville Jaguars||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||170||4||1||0||0.8||2011: W 41-14||4 W|
|Kansas City Chiefs||St. Louis Rams||233||6||4||0||0.6||2010: W 27-13||5 W|
|Miami Dolphins||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||197||5||4||0||0.556||2009: W 25-23||1 W|
|Minnesota Vikings||Green Bay Packers||257||48||53||1||0.475||2011: L 7-45||4 L|
|New England Patriots||New York Giants||170||5||6||0||0.455||2011: L 17-21||3 L|
|New England Patriots||New York Jets||170||53||52||1||0.505||2011: W 37-16||2 W|
|New Orleans Saints||Houston Texans||320||2||1||0||0.667||2011: W 40-33||1 W|
|8||New York Giants||New York Jets||0||8||4||0||0.667||2011: W 29-14||5 W|
|8||New York Jets||New York Giants||0||4||8||0||0.333||2011: L 14-29||5 L|
|9||Oakland Raiders||San Francisco 49ers||10||6||6||0||0.5||2010: L 9-17||3 L|
|Philadelphia Eagles||New York Giants||85||75||83||2||0.475||2011: W 17-10||1 W|
|Philadelphia Eagles||New York Jets||85||9||0||0||1||2011: W 45-19||9 W|
|Pittsburgh Steelers||Cleveland Browns||114||64||56||0||0.533||2011: W 13-9||4 W|
|1||San Diego Chargers||Arizona Cardinals||286||9||3||0||0.75||2010: L 41-10||3 W|
|9||San Francisco 49ers||Oakland Raiders||10||6||6||0||0.5||2010: W 17-9||3 W|
|Seattle Seahawks||Oakland Raiders||680||24||29||0||0.453||2010: L 3-33||1 L|
|St. Louis Rams||Indianapolis Colts||229||17||23||2||0.429||2009: L 6-42||2 L|
|7||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||Jacksonville Jaguars||170||1||4||0||0.2||2011: L 14-41||4 L|
|2||Tennessee Titans||Atlanta Falcons||214||7||6||0||0.538||2011: L 17-23||1 L|
|3||Washington Redskins||Baltimore Ravens||29||1||3||0||0.25||2008: L 10-24||2 L|
- The New York Giants and New York Jets play their homes games at the same stadium, thus there is no distance between them. The non-distance between the teams is the shortest distance between two NFL teams. Followed by the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers (10 miles apart), and the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins (29 miles apart).
- The Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks are 680 miles apart. It’s the longest “shortest” distance between one NFL team to another. Followed by the Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs (564 miles apart), and the New Orleans Saints and Houston Texans (320 miles apart).
- The average distance between NFL teams closest to each other is 180 miles.
- The Green Bay Packers have an 86-92-6 record against the Chicago Bears; the most wins a NFL team has over the team closest to them. Followed by the Philadelphia Eagles against the New York Giants (75-82-2), and the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Cleveland Browns (64-56).
- The Philadelphia Eagles are 9-0 against the New York Jets; the most wins and best win percentage a NFL team has over the team closest to them. Followed by the Jacksonville Jaguars against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-1, .800 W Pct), and the Detroit Lions against the Cleveland Browns (17-5, .773 W Pct).
- The Indianapolis Colts are the closest NFL team to three teams (Chicago Bears, Cincinnati Bengals, & St. Louis Rams). It’s tied for the most in the NFL with the New York Giants (New England Patriots, New York Jets, & Philadelphia Eagles), and the New York Jets (New England Patriots, New York Giants, & Philadelphia Eagles).
- There are nine NFL teams that are not the closest team to any NFL team.
|Buffalo Bills||New England Patriots|
|Carolina Panthers||New Orleans Saints|
|Denver Broncos||Philadelphia Eagles|
|Miami Dolphins||Seattle Seahawks|
- Three of the last six Super Bowl matchups have involved a team playing the closest team to them. In Super Bowl 42 and Super Bowl 46, the New England Patriots played and lost to the team closest to them, the New York Giants. In Super Bowl 41, the Chicago Bears played and lost to the team closet to them, the Indianapolis Colts.